Friday, June 27, 2014

Week Long clinic chemo

I don't even know where to begin tonight. I have so much on my mind right now that I feel like my head is spinning. I have been wanting to sit down and type for awhile now but every time I have a free moment to do so I am too tired, in fact I am barely with it now.
After Malina missed counts a few weeks ago we went back in on a Monday to try again, and she made it! It actually worked out well because my mom and sister were in town and could help with getting Jenna to and from school that week. I am always amazed at the blessings that show up in our lives everyday. It was really frustrating that Malina didn't make counts but it turned out to be a good thing. I originally thought that her and I would be in the clinic from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. or later everyday for 5 days. That did not sound enjoyable to me in anyway. Well when we went in Monday we were told that she was getting way too much fluid for the chemo she was getting so what I thought was going to be 9+ hour days turned into 4-5 hour days! It was truly amazing!
Malina really did well all week. We even got out and walked around the clinic for a little bit. She loved going for walks. Her counts were low Thursday (June 12) and had to get some blood to help boost her. My mom and sister had left earlier that day so I had to make other arrangements for Jenna to be picked up from school since I would be longer than planned.
On Friday when we got to clinic Malina seemed to be having an off day. Of course it didn't help that we had already been there all week and we both were done. Well then her port wasn't wanting to work and that was just frustrating. She only had one side accessed and the nurse couldn't get a draw back on it. Not good! I was told that they would probably have to access the other side and work on the side that wasn't drawing. Dang! Malina HATES when her port is messed with. It really is an issue for her, I can't blame her! The nurse (Mary) decided that she was going to wiggle the needle around a bit in the port to try and get it to work. After a couple of tries and many tears by mom and Malina, it worked! So they didn't have to access the other side!! But it was still very traumatic for Malina and I hate seeing her sad. I wasn't very nice that day to some of the staff; I felt bad but dang it I am allowed grumpy, unsociable days when we are in clinic!
I am thankful for good nurses and good doctors. We really haven't had problems with any of ours. Now there was one that week who made me feel like crap. One of the NP's filling in for ours told me that they would not schedule Malina's scans around our favorite sedation nurses schedules. However, the head of our team Dr Neville was pretty mad when I told her that. Of course they were able to make things work for us, I would be understanding if they couldn't but it wasn't that NP's place to tell me no way and look at me like I was stupid. Some people!

No comments:

Post a Comment